As the third day of the Presidents Cup has come to a conclusion the Ernie Els led International Team is up by two points leading 10-8. Heading into “Sunday Singles” the Americans have closed the gap. Here are my gimmes from Day Three.
- Marc Leishman. I don’t know. Obviously, I’m not Ernie Els but all that I know is that after the first three matches that he played in, I would have benched him regardless of him being Australia’s own. As far as I’m concerned, Leish has just not “brought it”. He looks out of sorts out there although coming down the stretch he did come through. Good on him and playing partner Abraham Ancer to claw back after being 5 DN to salvage half a point in the afternoon session.
- Tied in with that storyline. Rickie Fowler and Justin Thomas. They were 5 UP. I’m not suggesting that they choked but…
- Tiger sitting all of Day Three. Alright, so there might be some speculation involved here. Maybe he was feeling “off”. Maybe he didn’t have time to sufficiently warm-up before the afternoon sessions. Maybe he liked the way that Rickie Fowler complimented Justin Thomas in the morning session. Or maybe, he just wanted to play the role of Captain. Clearly, the best player on the American team sitting out the entire day is a curious decision.
- Alright, I’m tired of reporting on Patrick Reed. but, in a case like this how do I refrain from doing so? As if he wasn’t bad enough, his caddie Kessler Karain got involved in a physical altercation with a fan. The caddie has a few jobs. Give course information, carry the bag, talk to his player throughout the round to keep him focused yet relaxed and tell the fans “quiet please” and defend his player when needed. At no time, however, does that mean getting into a physical altercation. It can’t be easy being Reed’s caddie these days and after days of hearing the heckling, I’m sure he got tired of it. Karain, will not be on Reed’s bag for the Sunday singles after a meeting with PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan. I’m curious to see if any criminal charges come against him. It was an assault.
- Speaking of caddies. Is it caddie or caddy? I prefer to go with “ie”.
- The Presidents Cup is up for grabs. It’s anyone’s trophy. Ancer is leading off in a head to head match vs Tiger. Something he wished for in November. Well kid, you got it! Honestly, though, I think Abe has played very well in his first Presidents Cup. He has made some big putts this week.
Until The Next Tee!!