In last week’s PGA Tour event (FedEx St.. Jude Classic) Dustin Johnson reclaimed the top spot in the OWGR. His holeout on the 72nd was very much an exclamation mark on the victory. His victory in Tennessee was his 18th during his PGA Tour career.
As we look forward to this week it’s now time for the seasons second Major. The U.S. Open. At the time of writing the first round has been completed and Dustin Johnson is back at it again currently tied for first place (-1).
As most golf fans and observers are aware Dustin plays a complete bag of TaylorMade Golf products. Thanks to Marketing Manager of TaylorMade Golf Canada Nick Obritsch for sharing the press release below. The press release outlines what propelled D.J to victory.
- TaylorMade’s 2018 M Drivers featuring Twist Face Technology now have victories in 9 tournaments on the PGA TOUR this season and 12 worldwide, outpacing any other manufacturer this season.
- Having found success with both the M3 & M4 drivers this year, Johnson played the 10.5° M4 driver this week. Per his usual, he has it equipped with a Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X Tour Spec 2.0 shaft. For the tournament, Dustin averaged 320.3 yards off the tee which led the field in driving distance.
- Johnson’s victory is his second PGA TOUR title this season and the 18th of his career, which ties him for most on Tour since 2008 with fellow TaylorMade staffer Tiger Woods.
- Earlier this season, Johnson made the switch into the P730 DJ Proto Irons. As he has for most of his recent career, DJ has them equipped with True Temper’s Dynamic Gold X100 shafts.
- Johnson has praised the performance of the TP5 golf ball since he first put it into play at the Tournament of Champions last year. It’s the 8th win on the PGA TOUR this season for TP5(x), with DJ adding his second win along with Day, Johnson, Rahm, Rose and McIlroy.
- DJ has found much success on the greens with the Spider Tour putter, using it to escalate to #1 in the OWGR. After experimenting with the recently-released Spider Mini, Johnson returned to his Spider Tour black.
- With the victory, Johnson not only reclaims the #1 position in the OWGR, he jumps to #2 in the season-long FedExCup standings as well.
Dustin Johnson’s Winning Bag at the FedEx St. Jude Classic:
M4 Driver | 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X Tour Spec 2.0
M4 Fairway | 3HL 16.5° | Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 95 X
Until The Next Tee!!
Congratulations go out to Justin Rose. The likeable Englishman captured his ninth PGA Tour victory this past weekend at the Fort Worth Invitational. This victory was the second of the 2018 season for Rose who won in brilliant fashion. Rose carries a complete arsenal of TaylorMade Golf products including an M3 440 driver and TP5 golf balls. For more information on what’s in Justin’s bag please see the press release below shared by Nick Obritsch who is the Marketing Manager for TaylorMade Golf Canaada.
See you in Paris Justin!!
What You Need to Know:
- TaylorMade’s 2018 M Drivers featuring Twist Face Technology now have victories in 8 tournaments on the PGA TOUR this season and 11 worldwide.
- Rose plays a 9.0° M3 440 driver with one weight back and toward the heel and the second just forward of neutral. Equipped with a Mitsubishi Tensei CK 60TX, Justin averaged 305.9 yards off the tee for the tournament.
- Rose’s victory is his second PGA TOUR title this season and the 9th of his career (20th worldwide).
- Earlier this season, Rose joined fellow TaylorMade staffers Dustin Johnson & Rory McIlroy in making the switch into the P730 irons. As he has for much of his career, Rose has them equipped with KBS Tour C-Taper 125 S+ shafts.
- Rose has praised the performance of the TP5 golf ball since he first put it into play at Riviera last year and has played it ever since. It’s the 7th win on the PGA TOUR this season for TP5(x), with Rose adding his second win along with Day, Johnson, Rahm and McIlroy.
- Rose recently made a switch into the TP Red Ardmore 2 putter, which he feels best suits his eye on the greens. He recorded 2.697 strokes gained: putting for the week. Including Rose, three of the top 5 finishers played TaylorMade putters.
- Rose’s wedge setup remains largely unchanged; he plays the Milled Grind in 48°, 52° & 56° lofts, as well as a 60° Hi-Toe, which has been TaylorMade’s most sought after wedge on Tour.
Justin Rose’s Winning Bag at the Fort Worth Invitational
P790 4 Iron | KBS Tour C-Taper 125 S+
P730 Rose Proto Irons | 5-9 | KBS Tour C-Taper 125 S+
Until The Next Tee!!
In the not-so distant future I will be doing reviews on the new “M Series” of metalwoods from TaylorMade Golf. Until those reviews happen all that I will say on the topic is that I preferred the M3 in terms of…. everything.
This past weekend at the Waste Management Open in Scottsdale, AZ Gary Woodland erased a three-stroke deficit to come from behind to notch the victory. This was his first win since 2013. The M3 440 was instrumental in securing the victory. Below are the “Need To Knows” about Woodland’s victory and details about his metalwoods as shared by Nick Obritsch who is the Communications Manager for TaylorMade Golf Canada.
Photo Credit: TaylorMade Golf via Getty Images
What You Need to Know:
– Woodland added a 9° M3 440 driver to the bag just last week at the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines, where he went on to finish T12.
– Woodland’s driver is equipped with an Accra Tour RPG shaft at 44.75″, tipped 2″ with a D4 swingweight. It’s set to lower, with an actual loft of 8.5°. He has one weight pushed all the way forward and the second at 3/4″ back on the Y-Track.
– For the week, he averaged 314.1 yards off the tee with a long drive of 364 on Sunday.
– TaylorMade’s 2018 M Drivers featuring Twist Face Technology now have victories in 4 of the last 5 PGA tournaments (as well as 1 European Tour event in that timeframe), with Woodland joining TaylorMade stablemates Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm and Jason Day as tournament champions winning with Twist Face on the PGA TOUR.
– Woodland’s victory is his 3rd on the PGA TOUR, earning him 500 FedExCup points.
– In addition to his M3 440 driver, Woodland also plays a ’17 TaylorMade M2 Tour fairway wood at 15° and a ’17 M2 fairway, both equipped with Accra’s Tour ZX4100 shafts.
Woodland’s TaylorMade Metalwoods at the Phoenix Open:
M2 Tour Fairway | 15° | Accra Tour ZX 4100
M2 Fairway | 18° | Accra Tour ZX 4100
Until The Next Tee!!