Today’s golfers demand a lot from their shoes, and we kept hearing that there was something missing. Whether it was one of our tour professionals or an everyday golfer, they all wanted the same thing: a high-performance spiked shoe that was lightweight and extremely comfortable. We took that as a challenge to not only fill this void that players were looking for, but also create something exciting that would stand alone at the top and launch a new category of spiked footwear.
After nearly two years, multiple prototypes, configurations, and infusing our latest technologies to get everything right, we’re introducing a product that ushers in a new era of performance golf footwear for our brand: ZG21. It’s our latest offering that gives golfers of all skill levels a high-performance spiked shoe that’s lightweight with zero compromises.
ZG21 is our lightest spiked footwear model to feature BOOST cushioning. It’s up to 20 percent i lighter than comparable spiked models previously in our range and significantly lighter than many competitor models. But just being lightweight wasn’t enough.
“ZG21 is truly a breakthrough feat in spiked performance,” said Masun Denison, global footwear director, adidas Golf. “We were able to combine the latest and greatest materials, innovations, and manufacturing processes without sacrificing anything. It changes the game for those who love spiked footwear.”
Beyond the clean, fast and sleek design, ZG21 is packed with new technology:
The new ZG21 outsole features an ultra-thin TPU construction, six strategically placed cleats, and a new crescent moon-shaped secondary lug to optimize grip, support and performance while ultimately reducing weight.
ZG21 will come in four models: men’s laced, men’s and women’s BOA®, and a simplified laced offering for junior golfers. The two BOA models feature the new BOA Fit System, a ‘Y’-strap design that’s a first in the sport and provides an even higher level of performance. The configuration wraps around the foot, creating a secure fit over the instep and provides flexibility and freedom in the toe box. The men’s ZG21 BOA is also the first golf shoe on the market to feature Li2 – a sleek, low-profile dial platform that modulates tension when and where needed with enhanced speed and effortless execution.
- A first in golf, this cushioning is 40 percent lighter than any EVA foam in the market while also providing shock absorption and quick recovery, perfect for golf where stability through the swing is critical. It’s been used in other categories like basketball and tennis, and when coupled with our BOOST cushioning, gives players lightweight comfort and stability with every swing and step.
- A lightweight and waterproof (one-year warranty) four-layer upper that combines innovative textiles and polyurethane films for breakthrough performance.
- ULTRA-LIGHT STABILITY FIN
- A new lightweight and durable TPU insert we created in the lateral sidewall that offers increased lateral stability and a locked-in feel throughout the swing.
- SWINGPLANE TRACTION
- Inspired by heat-map studies and running from heel to toe, we target the areas and place the maximum amount of traction where it’s needed most.
All ZG21 models will be available exclusively on adidas.com and the adidas app starting today, and at select retailer partners worldwide beginning Feb. 1, 2021ii
i Comparative data is based on the laced model of ZG21 footwear.
ii Available exclusively on adidas.com and the adidas app in Japan on Feb. 5, 2021 and at select retailers beginning Feb. 19, 2021.