Happy New Year!! And Auld lang syne and all of that jazz. As we kiss good-bye to the year 2019 and welcome in 2020 I just want to wish everyone a very happy and safe 2020. I sincerely hope that 2020 is a happy and healthy year for all of you.
Without all of you, I’ll be honest. There would be no Until The Next Tee. It’s my readers that drive me, wanting to educate golfers about golf equipment, apparel, the occasional tip, and sometimes talk about what it’s like to have toiled in golf Mini-Tours. Especially, considering it was during a time that I likely shouldn’t have been. My swing was undergoing weekly changes back then. Of course, I’m not shy about sharing my opinion on the game that I love so much. Sometimes, we have to hurt the ones that we love right?
As I look back on 2019 there are so many things that I can take away from it. Personally, golf-related, and blog-related too. Accomplishments that I wasn’t sure would be possible. So what were some of the accomplishments and highlights from 2019.
- January saw me attending the PGA Show with my wife Crystal. It was her first time attending the show. The show was excellent and if there was one thing that I learned it was this. The parity in the industry from company to company was crazy good. For the most part, when it came to drivers/metalwoods that real determining factor separating one from the other was the shaft, The technology in this industry is at a point where I often wonder “where do they go from here?” and I guess we’ll find out in a couple of weeks at the 2020 PGA Show.
- March saw me back in Florida and playing golf testing the likes of Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges and playing my first real golf since my Stroke. It was a long fight back. From learning how to walk again (September to November) to walking the fairways again. Always remember to #fightandgrind.
- The golf season here got off to a very slow start. Never in my life can I recall a spring like we had in 2019. Rains of biblical proportions kept courses underwater and for the most part, closed. Including Scenic Woods Golf Club where I worked for the second season.
- Once the rains ceased and the course was able to have carts on it (no paths to really speak of) it was “go time”. That didn’t happen until June. I started off sort of slow and struggled at times with my golf swing. I admit that I was making compensatory moves because of the weakness on my left side from the Stroke. I was shorter and lacked power and balance. It’s amazing that as the season progressed my game really improved.
- 2019 offered me a chance to work with companies that I never worked with prior to 2019 when it came to reviews. Golf manufacturers like SkyCaddie, Lamkin Grips, TaylorMade Golf (Canada), ZOOMTEE, Bridgestone Golf, Tour Edge Golf, and SUB 70 Golf to name a few. Thank you to all of those manufacturers for taking a chance on me.
- When the dust settled on playing in 2019, the golf season was very kind to me. It was the lowest scoring average that I’ve ever seen since I started to play golf. Ironically, the Stroke might have helped. My left side is my dominant side and that was the side that was affected. It smoothened out my tempo. I’ve since gained strength, so we’ll see how it goes moving into 2020.
- My First Ace. It was unwitnessed. But I swear, that it really happened.
- My low round was a -7 (65) 4x. My lowest total for 9 was a -6 (29).
- I became a Member of the Golf Journalists Association of Canada and the International Network of Golfers.
- Until The Next Tee. When I started as Alexander Toth Golf I was happy if one person read what I had to say. After gaining traction I rebranded in 2017. I thought I made a mistake. I only had 8,500 views that year. 2018 saw growth to 28,900 views. 2019 saw even more growth. Call it 70,000 views (at the time of writing 68,730 to be precise). When I say thank-you, I mean it from the bottom of my heart. Thank-you.
Well, that wraps up 2019 with a tidy little bow. If I may be so bold, I would love all of you to spread the word about Until The Next Tee. Please help me make 2020 the best year yet.
Late in 2019, I’ve been experimenting with “Live Twitter” and a little more video. Look for more of this in 2020 as I am getting used to being on camera. Look for #teeboxchatter. The coverage from the 2020 PGA Show will be aggressive.
Until The Next Tee!!