In this post, I’m going to summarize my “hot takes” called “Gimmes” on my observations from Day 1 of the 2019 Presidents Cup. Because the post itself would be too long on social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc) I thought that right here in these pages would be the perfect way to make some observations. Oh, if you have Twitter and Facebook here are my links to follow me.
Of course, feel free to subscribe to this WordPress as well. So with the self-promotion out of the way. It’s “Gimme Time”.
- The hype on the Golf Channel is just too extra. I know that you have to hype the event. Going into Day One, there really wasn’t much to get excited about. Other than Tiger being a playing Captain and Patrick Reed’s wrongdoing. Intentional or otherwise. Oh, and the teasers videos for the lead-ins or promos? You can’t call it “Home Turf” when the International Team is from around the world. Hey Golf Channel. Nice shank!! All of the talking put me to sleep. Literally. Until…
- The carolers. Or singers. Or fans that think that they’re singing but they really aren’t. I wish that I was tone-deaf. Your scintillating renditions of The Backstreet Boys (I Want Patrick Cantlay) or “The Lion… err Tiger Sleeps Tonight” might be witty but it was awful. But, the parody of “Wind Beneath My Wings” (Adam Hadwin) was beyond reproach.
- You knew someone was going to say something about Patrick Reed on the first tee. It was inevitable. The Aussie fan that yelled out though won the day. “Reed, are you going to make your caddie carry 14 clubs and a shovel?”. Ironically, Reed landed in a bunker with his first shot of the Presidents Cup. The irony.
- Is there any doubt who the star is of this Presidents Cup. It’s the golf course itself. Royal Melbourne Golf Club… “You complete me”. What a stunner! Firm conditions, bounces, and a lot of undulation to the greens. This ladies and gentlemen is a golf course.
- The snap hook is an ugly shot. Even if you have the swing of Adam Scott. Gadzooks! Or Great Scott!. That was ugly.
- Tiger was being Tiger. He carried Justin Thomas around in that match that they won 4&3. Conversely, Leishman let me down being in the first group off in front of his fellow Aussies. I expected more. Especially, teeing it up against Tiger.
- Sticking with Tiger. I know I said that he should have stepped aside in favour of someone else. Na most notably. I was wrong. The Captain led by example but his underlings let him down on Day One.
- The Internationals. Wow! Who had them going 4-1 after Day One? I know that I didn’t. There’s a ton of golf left to be played. Wasn’t that Eagle on the first hole by Sungjae Im fun and exciting? North America will soon know what Im is all about. Oh, and not a bad clutch putt by fellow Canadian Adam Hadwin on the 16th. Actually, he had two putts that could be defined as clutch.
- I’m still not sure about Joaquin Niemann being on the team. But the kid has moxie. Gesturing for Tiger to speed up. Hey kid, I appreciate it. I really do, but win or lead your matches and then you can chirp.
- Hulk Smash! Bryson DeChambeau bulked up. But his swing looks tight and rigid. Moreso than prior to him going full “Bulk Mode”. Mark my words, the genius is going to end up injured.
Until The Next Tee!!
#untilthenexttee #fightandgrind #seeuonthenexttee
#2019presidentscup #gimme #tigerwoods #ernieels #melbourne #adamhadwin #royalmelbournegolfclub #patrickreed #joaquinniemann #brysondechambeau #golf #golfers #golfcourse #internationalteam #adamsscott #stopsinging #shovel