It was an exciting week for Canadian golf fans. The RBC Canadian Open was contested at Hamilton Golf and Country Club and we crowned a new champion. With the move of the Canadian Open to just before the U.S. Open (and not after the Open Championship), it allowed the likes of Justin Thomas and Rory McIlroy to play in our event for the first time. Rory came through huge playing in Canada for the first time. After being in contention all week, Rory powered by TaylorMade Golf products dominated the field en route to claiming victory by 7 strokes over runner-up Shane Lowry
For more details please see the press release below as shared by Nick Obritsch. Mr. Obriysch is the Marketing Manager for TaylorMade Golf Canada.
Until The Next Tee!!
McIlroy’s 16th career PGA TOUR victory is the 11th win on Global Tours for TaylorMade’s New M5 & M6 Drivers featuring the company’s ground-breaking Injected Twist Face technology; McIlroy also introduced a new wedge set up this week featuring 4 MG wedges en route to a new RBC Canadian Open scoring record.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- As he has since the Tournament of Champions in Kapalua, Rory has continued to play a 9° M5 Driver, of which he’s found remarkable success this season. At Hamilton Golf & Country Club, Rory averaged 324 yards off the tee for the tournament – good for first in the field.
- In addition to the M5 Driver, McIlroy also gamed a 14° M6 fairway and 18° M5 titanium fairway, electing to remove his P790 2 iron that has been used at previous events this season due to the course set up at Hamilton Golf & Country Club.
- Rory’s second PGA TOUR win of the season is the 10th Global Tour win for the new 2019 TP5/x golf ball. Rory’s preferred golf ball is the is the ’19 TP5, stamped #22.
- Rory continued to roll the new Spider X putter with confidence and featured a limited edition commemorative Canadian Spider headcover. The head cover was used by many TaylorMade Staff Professionals this week including Rory. A popular item on Tour and golf fans, the Canadian headcover quickly sold out following release on taylormadegolf.com this past Wednesday.
- Rory McIlroy worked with TaylorMade Tour Rep Adrian Rietveld onsite at Hamilton Golf & Country Club this past Monday to dial in his wedges. Rory then moved to four wedges, 48°, 52°, 56° & 60°, to allowed for calculated distance control, not just for this week but also for the U.S. Open. With the new wedge, Rory removed the P750 3-iron from his bag.
- The 48° wedge is Milled Grind Raw while the 52°, 56° & 60° are Milled Grind Hi-Toe wedges.
- With the win, McIlroy becomes #2 in the FEDEX Cup race and will elevate to #3 in the OWGR.
- First played in 1904, McIlroy set a new RBC Canadian Open record his first time playing North of the Border shooting 258 (-22).
WITB – RBC Canadian Open:
M5 Driver | 9°
M6 Fairway | 14°
M5 Fairway | 18°
P750 iron | 4
P730 irons | (5-9)
Milled Grind Wedge | 48°
MG Hi-Toe Wedges | 52°, 56° & 60°
2019 TP5 Golf Ball | #22