As we set our eyes to this week the 2018 PGA Tour has its first full field event of the 2018 season. The Tour says “aloha” to Waialae Country Club and the Sony Open (for the record I am picking Justin Thomas to repeat as champion). Before we get to that tournament we need to look at this past weekend.
In Maui, the Sentry Tournament of Champions was played and the winner absolutely dominated the event. Dustin Johnson entered the final round leading by two strokes. Sunday was his for the taking and he’d never be contested by the field as he ended up winning by an amazing 8 strokes. While DJ finished at -24 the runner-up (Jon Rahm) finished with a total score of -18. Amazing! I think you have to look at DJ as a favorite to win The Masters as long as he rents a single-storey bungalow with no stairs and non-slip floors.
The OWGR #1 ranked golfer was quick to sing the praises of his new TaylorMade Golf M4 driver and the “Twist Face” technology incorporated into it. DJ stated that the ‘Twist Face” technology really made a difference especially on his misses. He was quoted as saying “My misses… they aren’t off-line… by you know… barely”. Now… I really can’t wait to swing these drivers at the upcoming PGA Show. For a closer look at the new M4 driver and details of what’s in DJ’s bag please see the press release below from TaylorMade Golf Canada.
Johnson’s 17th PGA TOUR victory is first for TaylorMade’s New M4 Driver; Comes the Same Week as Global Introduction
Launching on Tour just this week at Kapalua, World #1 Dustin Johnson used his prodigious length off the tee combined with TaylorMade’s new Twist Face™ technology to find more than 73% of fairways, highlighted by a near hole-in-one on the 433-yard par-4 12th. First announced on January 2nd and now being introduced to TaylorMade’s Tour staffers, take a look at the video to learn more about TaylorMade’s newest innovation.https://cdn.embedly.com/widgets/media.html?src=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fembed%2FErXrgDda3w8%3Fwmode%3Dtransparent%26feature%3Doembed&wmode=transparent&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DErXrgDda3w8&image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FErXrgDda3w8%2Fhqdefault.jpg&key=fff19fb0fdb111df84894040444cdc60&type=text%2Fhtml&schema=youtube
What You Need to Know:
- Johnson put TaylorMade’s new M4 driver into the bag at Kapalua after extensive testing with both that and the M3. He opted for the M4 at 9.5° in standard position. DJ preferred the M4 due to the flatter flight and felt it would be better suited for his trajectory in Kapalua’s winds. It is likely he will continue working with both models moving forward.
- Johnson also added a new M4 fairway (16.5° HL) to his setup this week after testing with TaylorMade’s Tour staff at the Kingdom earlier this month; it’s equipped with Project X’s HZRDUS Black 6.5 95X shaft; the same shaft he carried in his fairway(s) last season.
- DJ raves about the P790 irons, and continues to use the #3 (21°) in place of a high lofted fairway wood. He carries it 260 (old MB was 250), plus give him higher trajectory.
- In addition to his P790, he’s added a full set of P730 irons to his arsenal, having done extensive work with them over the off-season. Similar to his previous irons, he has them equipped with True Temper’s Dynamic Golf X100 shafts.
- Johnson has now won at least one PGA TOUR event in 11 consecutive seasons, dating back to his rookie season in 2008, the longest active streak on the PGA TOUR.
- DJ found much success with the Spider Tour putter last season, using it to escalate to #1 in the World, where he’s remained for 46 weeks. This week, he used it to card 26 birdies (or better) en route to an 8-shot margin of victory.
- Johnson’s TaylorMade stablemate and World #4 Jon Rahm finished 2nd, and is expected to move up to #3 in the OWGR.
- Dustin’s preferred golf ball is the TP5x, stamped #1. He used this ball throughout the 2017 campaign as well.
A closer look at DJ’s Winning Setup from Kapalua:
M4 Driver | 9.5° (standard) | Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X Tour Spec 2.0
M4 Fairway | 3HL 16.5° | Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 95 X
P790 Iron | 3 | Dynamic Gold X100
P730 Irons | 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
Milled Grind Wedges | 52° & 60° | KBS Tour Black 130 X
Milled Grind Hi-Toe Wedge | 64° | KBS Tour Black 130 X
TP5x Golf Ball (#1)
Tour Preferred Glove
Until The Next Tee!!